I absolutely adore a great rug and sometimes I find more than one I adore and want to use both in the same room. So if space is limited I layer the rugs to create a cozy, unique look. I have a few loose rules I go by to achieve this layered look but there are really no rules these are just the ones I go by when choosing rugs to layer.
- Start with a neutral rug for the bottom layer. This can be jute, sisal, seagrass or any woven material.
- Add a smaller bold print on top for color contrast or even a shag rug for textural contrast.
- Sheepskin and cow prints also make for great top layers.
- Make sure the layers aren’t too plush around heavy traffic areas to help prevent falls.
- Or forget rules 1-4 and make your own statement with the rugs. It’s your house; showcase your own unique style! There are no rules when it comes to decorating.
Amazon Affiliate Links:
- A2Z Rug Cozy Shaggy Collection Graphite Gray
- nuLOOM Hand Woven Jute rug
- Safavieh Hudson Shag Collection
- Black Ebony Runner Rug
- Faux Cow Hide Rug
- RUGLUSH TM Super Soft Faux Sheepskin
- Safavieh Natural Fiber Collection
- Chardin Home – 100% cotton Diamond Rug
Here are the rugs I have layered in my den.
- A2Z Rug Trellis Design Collection– not the exact one I have but very close to the same design
- Anji Mountain Round Jute Rug
So you can see by what I have layered that you can mix textures, colors and designs. My objective when I decorate is to create a cozy, comfortable setting. I want people to feel welcome when they come to my house and not like they just stepped into a museum. So if you ever find yourself at my house by all means kick off your shoes and sit a spell!